Thursday, January 10, 2013

Notches in the New Year


Mi Familia y Mis Amigos!
 
Another year marks yet another accumilation of time and we press forward into 2013. This new year also marks another disposition for change, growth and the classic new year's resolutions and although my first hours of the new year were spent in a fetal position fighting off a violent flu virus; I had a lot of time to meditate about this while in quarantine. 
 
I think as humans we are so hilarious sometimes to say the least...we like to exaggerate how long the 365 days can take but at the same time it happens fast enougth that we can nearly remember exactly what we were doing this time last year. The truth about it is another year passes and another one comes, adding yet another notch onto what I'd like to call our "life belt," please bear with me and the corniness...Imagine that attached to each person is this life belt and each one has these loopholes meant for holding personal tools. Throughout the year we have attained certain tools that go in these loopholes on our belt, ones that we can choose to use whenever we want. Some of these tools can be used to help fix other people's tools so that both can use theirs to help construct what I'd also like to call the "Kingdom of Heaven." (I know how original)
 
Some of us obtain tools disfigured, broken or we let them get rusty, all of which are not very useful-so what is a tool without a purpose? What is a person without tools to create?! We are always creating something that is the beautiful thing that God gave us, the ability to make, shape and form! Whether its from a peanut butter sandwhich to a canvas painting to creating human life; He blessed us and intended for us to create that we may act and not be acted upon. I know that the greatest blessing he has given us is the ability to create a new us everyday, month and every year. He has all given us a tool that we can access so that we may be able to start that change. A tool that never wares, nor breaks nor rusts but if we dont use it often we can forget how to use it or wait too long to think that we dont need to use it. This tool I'd like to call the "fix-all" tool or better known as the Atonement.
 
While here at the MTC, I have realizd some of the tools that I already posses on my belt and definitely some that I need or that need fixing. But most importantly I am learning how to use the Atonement and how to access the several utilities of which it posses in order to make new tools that I need or to mend the ones that are broken. Though this process as most of us know takes a life long effort, I have felt the strength and confidence from my Heavenly Father that I am ready for the field, this has probably taken longer for me to say this than I would have liked but I have just given so much time to thinking about what it is that I can actually do to make a difference to my brothers and sisters out there. It's like you go on a mission knowing what you are getting yourself into but at the same time you dont know...because each person is different and we touch or interact wih so many different people on a daily basis, I just cant imagine the extent of that over a year!
 
But there are some questions that have stood out to me during my stay here at the Training Center and I hope that they continue to stay in the back of my mind and if not the fore front of my mind throughout the mission. The first one is for some of us who already look down and see the long chain of notches each holding plentiful amounts of experiences, thoughts and expressions of a year's time; for us the question is, "You have come so far, how? Why?" The second one might actually help answer the first, it states, "Who do you stand for? Why?" I hope in some way or another we can all answer these questions for ourselves and live true to it because I fear that as I see notches added to my belt and others as I look around, the more I have seen us constantly exchaning and interchaning tool for others whose shaped dont fit nor fix. What do we change for? Do we change just for the sake of chaning? Among a very fast paced world that is always changing and indeed trying to improve technology for mankind-I often wonder that when we choose to change it is because we seek improvement as well?
 
I know that some maybe most are just following suit to the place we inhabit, letting our enviroment dictate how or how often we should change. Perhaps it is of our best interest that we take the time to look down at that perfect, beautiful and indestructable tool we have...becaus before you know it or try to exaggerate it, another year will come and another notch will collect on our string of life. Though I will be thousands of miles away from all of you in a very short amount of time (namely 3 days), I can promise you that I will be comtemplating and striving to change by trying to fix my broken tools and trying to use my own more frequently and I say this in hopes that I will be doing this with all of you too. To those who believe in the unbelief, that think that this year has nothing to offer much like a disappointing last year, I promise you that this is not true. If all your hope is gone or small even starting off in this early beginning, I hope that these words or some sort of inspiration can lift you up enough to keep moving and keeping doing all that you can to build, to create, to fix, to change. 
 
Here's to another notch creating to happen and to a Very Happy New Year!
With Much Much even Mucho Amor, Hermana Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment